Kitchen shears and scissors are a must-have in your kitchen. There is no way you can carry out your kitchen duties excellently without these two kitchen appliances. The multipurpose ability of these tools makes them sought after in the market today.
However, do you take your time to disinfect kitchen shears and scissors? If not, you are not doing yourself a favor. It is extremely necessary to disinfect these kitchen appliances to keep off bacteria. You can do that with antibacterial cleaners or choose to use hot soapy water perfect for disinfecting.
But, why disinfect kitchen shears? The aim is to minimize the growth of microorganisms meaning you will not be exposed to any bacteria. However, remember that you cannot disinfect kitchen scissors before cleaning them. The effectiveness of disinfecting will be reduced due to uncleanliness.
Table of Contents
For those actively engaged in gardening, they know that cleaning the grass shears makes them more efficient to use. The same principle applies to kitchen ware.
A good cleaning session is necessary for kitchen shears and scissors. It will not only make these kitchen appliances sparkle, but will also prepare them for disinfecting. Cleaning does away with stubborn stains, germs and dirt.
Germs have a tendency of hiding in inconspicuous places making disinfecting ineffective. That is why it is paramount you use a cleaner on your kitchen shears and scissors. When done cleaning, dry them thoroughly using a kitchen towel. No moisture should be present for that provides a ground for rusting to take place.
Disinfecting kitchen shears and scissors
Disinfecting is done to keep off the spread of bacteria. As you will learn, you can disinfect kitchen shears and scissors in various ways.
- Using bleach – Measure a tablespoon of bleach and place it in a bucket with warm water. Immerse your kitchen scissors and shears into the solution. Let them sit for up to ten minutes before rinsing with hot water. After that, do not forget to air-dry. Bleach can be harmful to your words. Why not have some rubber gloves on when working with it.
- Antibacterial detergent – This is done pretty easily using your sink. Start by filling it with hot water. Then add a considerable amount of antibacterial detergent. Get a scrub which you can use on the kitchen shears and scissors. Scrub gently focusing on the hard-to-reach parts. A sponge is also ideal. This is an affordable disinfecting method. Using a dish cloth, dry your kitchen appliances completely. Antibacterial detergent is one of the best ways to disinfect all your kitchen tools.
- Boiling water – Another way to disinfect kitchen shears is by using boiling water. Place your kitchen shears and scissors in a large pan. Pour in sufficient water such that it covers them fully. Place a lid on the pan and let the water boil. Once it starts boiling, uncover the pan and let the water cool down. Get prongs to remove the kitchen shears and scissors from the water. Dry them thoroughly and store them in a cool dry place.
- Using a dishwasher – Your dishwasher can come in handy not only in cleaning kitchen appliances but also in disinfecting them. Get a disinfecting solution and mix it with warm soapy water present in the dishwasher. Allow your kitchen shears and scissors to soak for a while in the disinfecting solution. When you disinfect kitchen scissors you eliminate bacteria and germs. After that rinse them off with water. Use a paper towel to wipe your kitchen tools dry. You can also choose to air dry them.
Storing your kitchen tools
Cleaning and disinfecting your kitchen appliances should be accompanied by proper storage. This is a critical part of determining the ultimate condition of your kitchen appliances. The best way to store your kitchen shears and scissors is by using a sanitized container. This can be anything from a metal box to a huge plastic container. To keep germs at bay, ensure that you clean and disinfect the container regularly. Never place your kitchen appliances in the container if they are not clean. Cleaning and disinfecting should always be followed by drying and proper storage. That is the best tip you can put into practice to eliminate bacteria and germs.
You may be wondering, is disinfecting kitchen shears and scissors that important? Yes, it is! Using disinfected kitchen appliances keeps your health in check. Disinfecting is the only known way of preventing the spread of germs and bacteria. The health of your family should mean the world to you. That means you don’t want them exposed to tools that can cause sickness. Meaning you care about their health pretty much. The emphasis of disinfecting your kitchen appliances cannot be sensitized enough. We can all agree that the kitchen is the one place that brings the entire family together.
You should make it a routing to disinfect kitchen shears and scissors. It is the best way to hinder the growth of bacteria. Kitchen shears or scissors should never be a source of bacteria. That may lead to food contamination which is highly dangerous to your health. Why you need to disinfect kitchen shears is to keep bacteria at bay. That means you should do whatever it takes to minimize the chances of piling of unwanted bacteria. Making your kitchen and entire house as safe as possible should be your main mandate. Now you know that you need to disinfect kitchen scissors without fail.
Frequently Asked Questions
For your health to be at its best, you must take precautionary measures. For one, you should avoid coming into contact with disease causing microorganisms. They are caused by uncleanliness and lack of disinfecting. Some of the questions people ask concerning cleaning and disinfecting include;
- Can utensils be sanitized?
Absolutely! This should be done once you clean your dishes. Once clean, take the next step of disinfecting to eliminate bacteria.
- Is there a difference between sanitizing and disinfecting?
Sanitizing kills germs but disinfecting is more powerful because it eliminates up to 100% of disease-related microorganisms.
- Can alcohol be used as a disinfectant?
Alcohol is a renowned disinfectant thanks to its ability of killing a wide range of bacteria and germs.
- How can I disinfect the kitchen counter tops?
By cleaning with warm soapy water once you are done with your kitchen duties. After that, use an antibacterial wipe daily to prevent the spread of bacteria in the kitchen.